1) If you receive court papers, do not panic. If you know you are a few months in arrears ask for your case o go to foreclosure mediation.
2) If you know you are not in arrears on your mortgage payment immediately call your states Attorney General’s Office and report the communication you received.
3) Read your mail carefully.
4) Do not work with an out of state company.
5) NEVER give out your bank account or credit card information.
6) Do not pay a fee for help if you need it.
7) Scammers will say, “I can help you- I guarantee it”.
8) Read the fine print twice! Make certain that you understand it.
9) Do not sign anything containing blank lines or empty spaces.
10) Scammers say, “Deed your house to us and we will rent it back to you”.
11) NEVER sigh over the deed to your property unless you are concluding the sale of your home under ordinary circumstances.
12) Scammers say, “We work for the government”.
13) NEVER give out personal information over the phone.
14) Pay your lender and ONLY your lender.
15) Call ‘211’ United Way’s First Call for Help Line.
Compliments of CertifiedCare.org