How to Get Paid for Caring for an Elderly Parent (video)

Why is it that a stranger can get paid for caring for your parent, but you cannot? Tell your legislators it is time to pay family members who give up paid work to care for a family member or who undertake the full time care of a frail elderly family member.  Tell your legislators to make it happen – that’s their job.  Meanwhile, here are a few ways you can help yourself get some relief from the financial burden of eldercare at home.

If the parent, spouse, or other person you’re caring for is eligible for Medicaid, its Cash and Counseling program, available in some states, can provide direct payments that could go to you. A few other states have similar programs for low-income seniors, even if the person receiving care doesn’t quite qualify for Medicaid.

Also, if the person you’re caring for has long-term care insurance that includes in-home care coverage, in some cases those benefits can be used to pay you.

Become a certified Personal Care Aide (CPCA) and improve your chances of getting paid by private insurance or the government for your time and efforts. Only can issue Personal Care Aide Certification™.

In any event, if the person you’re caring for will be paying you from any source, it is a good idea to draft a short written contract, signed by both of you, setting out the terms of your scope of work and payment terms.

Remember, in order to provide both caring and informed care for your elderly loved one you must learn how to provide eldercare.  Caring for an elder is NOT like caring for a child.  Do not set yourself up to charges for elder abuse do to your own ignorance- it is no excuse.

Watch this short video to find out how you might be able to receive compensation for providing care to a loved one at home.


About Elder Care Advice blog

Get professional elder care giving advice, advocacy, education and tips for those who care for and about the frail elderly at the ElderCareAdvice blog. We are generously sponsored by Most posts are written by Cathleen V. Carr, unless attributed otherwise. We welcome relevant submissions. Submit your article and by-line for publishing consideration (no promises!) to Havi at, our own editor who will ensure submissions are given the best possible treatment and polish before publication, ensuring a professional level of publication. There is a nominal service fee involved ($45). Allow up to 30 days for publishing.
This entry was posted in Advocacy, Caregiving, Certified Caregiver, Certified Caregiving, Elder Abuse and Neglect, Elder Care, Professional Eldercare, Special Needs and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s