How Personal Care Aide Certification fits into Home Health Agencies

We received an email from a Certified Geriatric Care Manager asking about CertifiedCare PCA Certification, and how it fits into Florida state requirements specifically, and we thought it the questions were germain to Home Health Agency training programs throughout the United States in general, so we chose to publish our responses for the nationwide Home Care industry to consider.

Dear Olga B.,

We received your email inquiry asking several questions.   Please find the answers to your individual questions below:

To begin, CertifiedCare offers 80 hour proprietary PCA education, testing and certification programs.  Our programs are not meant to replace or replicate any individual state’s certification programs as might be mandated by any states laws. CertifiedCare Personal Care Aide Certification™ programs are meant to supplement and enrich – not replace- state required education and training programs and to provide professional credentials to high quality caregivers of all stripes.

#1 You wrote:

Once trained are your students automatically certified to work for a home health agency in the state of Florida?  Why or why not?

Our answer:

No. The following are additional requirements:

After July 1, 2005 who will be providing direct care to patients must complete 3 hours of training (hands on in clinical environment) in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia-related disorders within 9 months after beginning employment with the Home Health Agency.

To work for a Medicare or Medicaid home health agency, a home health aide must complete at least 75 hours of training and/or successfully complete a competency evaluation given by the home health agency.   Our programs are education programs, not hands on training programs.  Though agencies can use our competency tests as their evaluation test, they might prefer to provide their own.

To work in a licensed-only agency the home health aide must complete at least 40 hours of training or successfully complete a competency test given by the home health agency. Again, though agencies can use our competency tests as their evaluation test, they might prefer to provide their own.

Some home health agencies require additional training above these minimum hours.

All home health agency (HHA) staff upon beginning employment must receive basic written information about interacting with participants who have Alzheimer’s disease or dementia-related disorders.

In Florida,home health aides who were trained in another state must provide a copy of the course work and a copy of their training documentation, license or certification to the employing home health agency or nurse registry.

Please note:  These are the minimum requirements.  A home health agency may have its own additional requirements beyond the minimum for home health aides.

#2  You wrote:

If not, then what is the follow up for someone who has paid for certification training through your organization that is not upheld in our State?

Our answer:

Our certifications are valid in the state of Florida.  Whether or not a particular home health agency chooses to accept it or not does not invalidate its legitimacy as a proprietary certification program.  See above answers and also read further…

To the best of our knowledge and recent research, there is no state licensing or certification of Personal Care Aides in Florida.  The State of Florida does not have a state-administered test of PCAs/home health aides.  There is no state law that requires the licensing or certification of PCAs/Home health aidesin Florida.  A PCA home health aide may work independently, on their own, in Florida.  If you intend to hire home health aides and have them provide care in persons’ homes or places of residence, you must be licensed as a home health agency or a nurse registry.

Though I am a licensed attorney in the state of Ohio the aforementioned is not to be construed as legal advice for any particular case or situation.  Please contact an attorney of your choosing to retain for specific legal advice.

We hope we have provided complete answers to your questions.  Thank you for contacting CertifiedCare.  To find out more about us please click here
Sincerely yours,

Dr. Cathleen Carr JD PhD

Executive Director, CertifiedCare


About Elder Care Advice blog

Get professional elder care giving advice, advocacy, education and tips for those who care for and about the frail elderly at the ElderCareAdvice blog. We are generously sponsored by Most posts are written by Cathleen V. Carr, unless attributed otherwise. We welcome relevant submissions. Submit your article and by-line for publishing consideration (no promises!) to Havi at, our own editor who will ensure submissions are given the best possible treatment and polish before publication, ensuring a professional level of publication. There is a nominal service fee involved ($45). Allow up to 30 days for publishing.
This entry was posted in Certified, Questions 4 Dr. CC, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to How Personal Care Aide Certification fits into Home Health Agencies

  1. Pingback: Are Nurses Reshaping Long-Term Services and Supports? | Eldercare Advice Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s