What is Alzheimer’s/Dementia Coaching?
The definitions for coaching are as varied as they are numerous. For example, the International Coaching Federation (ICF), one of the leading coach training programs in the world, defines coaching as:
“…an ongoing partnership that helps clients produce fulfilling results in their personal and professional lives. Through the process of coaching, clients deepen their learning, improve their performance, and enhance their quality of life”.
How Coaching Can Help You
- Help the client discover; define, and move towards their desired goals
- Encourage self-discovery, rather than hand down mandates
- Provide guidance for the client to generate strategies and solutions
- Reinforce client responsibility and accountability
Find Dementia Care Videos with tips for caring for Dementia & Alzheimer’s Disease Patients at http://internationalcaregiversassociation.com/dementia-care-videos.shtml
How to Choose an Alzheimer’s/Dementia Coach
ICA recommends you take time to interview a coach and consider some of the following question during this interview:
- Tell me how coaching works?
- What are your qualifications as an Alzheimer’s/dementia coach?
- How long is each coaching session, what is your fee, and how long will I be in coaching?
The selection of an Alzheimer’s/dementia coach is your own decision and it is very important that you take time to select the right coach for your needs. ICA recommends you interview more than one coach prior to signing up for any coaching. Once you have made your selection, the coaching contract is between you and the coach only.